Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Top 50 Video Games: Number 23


Stats of Import

Platform: PS2
Absurdly Specific Genre: Old guys talking about penetration, and how vital it is
Difficulty: There were exploits available, I'd say maybe 3?
Beaten: Well, I won the Super Bowl as the Vikings. I don't know how much more a football game can be beaten.

Let me preface this by saying that I've probably never spent as much time with any game (with two exceptions, but those two games are much higher up the list) as I have with this one. I completed a 30 season franchise. I didn't skip more than a couple games.

I heard Alien Ant Farm so many times that I think of "These Days" as their biggest song, not "Smooth Criminal". I heard Madden talk about whatever it is that Madden talks about when he's not talking about Turduckens so many times that his voice echoes in my dreams.

Gameplay-wise, there's not much to say. It's a 6th Generation Madden game. From what I hear, 2005 was a little better, but I was still loving this one at the time, so why pay $50 for a roster upgrade?

What I do know is that this one had (for me) the perfect mix of arcade and semi-realism. They've never regained that balance to my liking, so now all that Madden is good for is the occasional online grudge match against Branny (though we've had some legendary games).

This might be heresy, but this game has become the definitive football game to me.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't played a Madden since 1996, so I'll take your word for it :)

    To be, my problem with the Madden games I did play is that it tried to come off as realistic with the hundred plays to choose from but there were so many ways to exploit the PC. I remember in every game there was a play or two where the receiver would never be covered, ever.

    That said, one of my favorite moments ever comes from Madden. Me and a buddy were playing Madden '95 and we both were on the Cowboys. I had Aikman, he took Irvin. I found nobody open so I bootlegged and ran down the left sideline. Five linebackers were chasing me and catching up to me after about 10-15 yards. Here comes my friend with Michael Irvin, who dives at the pile of men chasing me. All five went down an I ran another 30 yards with Aikman, before a safety caught him. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Branny and I still talk about the Super Bowl matchup of Steelers vs. Cardinals we played on Madden 08. Close game all the way, with under a minute left, he scored to give him a 5-point lead. I ran the kick back to the 40, then hit Fitzgerald in the back corner of the end zone with 5 seconds left.

    Even mentioning that game makes me want to buy whatever new version is out and give him a call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed playing co-op (in any genre) more than vs. Perhaps it's because there's no tempers flared when someone loses. Plus, there's the high-five moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man that play with Irvin/Aikman was awesome and funny. Would have gone viral on YouTube :)

    ReplyDelete