Thursday, August 4, 2011

Spookymilk Survivor IX: Create-a-Challenge

Good evening, fellow Spookymilk fans and general readers of this blog. Another Thursday is here, and you know what that means. Tomorrow has two more video game list entries, that’s true. More to the point, it means that a little over half of the contestants in Spookymilk Survivor IX got to see what Spooky thought of their entries!

This week was the famous ‘Create-a-Challenge’. I have sucked at thes ein the past. Last season’s submission was a fictional book report that was impossible to take seriously. In season 7, I proposed a thoroughly impossible challenge that would have been hell both to properly write and score.

This time around, I tried to keep it a little more grounded.

You know that one guy at the party who you simply cannot stand to be near? He thinks that the music is too mainstream, or that guy who doesn’t think you really, truly understand the symbolism in the end of Fight Club? Maybe it’s just the guy that talks about his collection of toy tractors for thirty minutes. Whoever they may be, It’s time to walk a mile in their shoes… those bothersome, exasperating shoes.

The name of the challenge is “That One Guy”, and the point is to write up a one-sided conversation in which you are as annoying and obnoxious as possible. Talk about how other just don’t ‘get’ your collection of silk scarves, whatever. Just make Kelly hate you within a couple of paragraphs, and you’re golden.

The word limit is 300, after all, that one guy always gets under your skin within about 30 seconds, anyway. Scoring is on the forced curve, because what’s more loathsome and irritating than having to give or good score to someone who doesn’t deserve it (or conversely not being able to give a good score to someone who does)?

Straightforward enough, and I think I presented my idea a lot better than I have in the past few, let’s see what our judge thought.

I love it. I mean, I’m sure reading them would tire me the hell out, but I love it all the same. I’d just have to be careful how many people were left when I ran it. 3

The top score was 4, so I’ll take it. I’ll be forthright, I have disliked this challenge in the past, mostly because I can never come up with anything. This time, inspiration struck when I was out with a friend of mine, and we briefly bumped into a mutual acquaintance. This person was exactly who I described above. After that, I embellished a bit and added pizzazz. I don’t know how easy it would be to make this work, but it’s at least better than either of the other two that I’ve done.

UJ brought the nonsubs again this week - two of them – and are thus tasked with eliminating one of our own. The choice seems relatively straightforward, but I guess we’ll see. Next time, Spy Tag… best be keeping eyes in the backs of your heads.

3 comments:

  1. I was pretty stoked that you got a high score here.

    What was yours from VII? The one with omitting a bunch of letters from the alphabet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, the "Unfilmable" story. That would've been a massive undertaking (at least to make it even remotely decent). Too vague, too much structuring. I didn't really know what to expect from the game at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, I'd forgotten all about that. That might be cool, if I knew how to run it.

    ReplyDelete