Friday, June 19, 2009

Ten Random: 06/19/2009

It's back! Ten more songs, picked at random. Your results may vary.

1. Phil Joel - El Salvador (The Saviour) (Watching Over You)
Wait... haven't we already seen this one? Like, just one month ago? That makes two repeats. I wouldn't have expected that to happen this quickly. Statistically speaking, this would seem to be an anomaly.

2. Another Soundscape - Golden Feathers (Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets!) (Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream)
This is a mildly annoying remix of a fairly memorable song from the Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack. It's from a large remix project put on by the masters of the video game remix, ocremix.org. It's a little too perky for my taste, but the middle eastern flavoring is kind of cool, I suppose.

3. Lucerin Blue - Cold (Tales of the Knife)
I never seem to know what to think of Lucerin Blue. If I'm in just the right mood, they sound powerful and energizing. If I'm in the wrong mood, they sound samey and mostly tuneless. Regardless of which mood I'm in, the guitar line to this song, simple as it may be, resonates to some extent. This song is one of the better ones on the CD.

4. Relient K - Down in Flames (The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek)
This CD and the next showed Relient K at their best. Sarcastic and fun music that didn't take itself too seriously. I wish they still made music like this.

5. Panic at the Disco - Northern Downpour (Pretty. Odd.)
It's strange to listen to old Panic (minus the '!') now. The ridiculous thesaurus-laden emo-punk-pop blitz replaced replaced by equally ridiculous thesarus-laden Beatles-inspired pop. I definitely prefer the newer band, but it has to be mentioned how completely "not cut out for it" they are. It's refreshing that they don't care.

6. Elbow - An Audience With the Pope (The Seldom Seen Kid)
I really liked The Seldom Seen Kid when I first heard it, and it's only grown on me since. It's another band that I can't get anyone into. It's too slow for some, too over-the-top for others. Absolutely worth a listen, though.

7. The All-American Rejects - The Wind Blows (When the World Comes Down)
A very different sounding song. Sounds something like what an emo band would have been if such a thing had existed in the realm of 80's pop. Doesn't make any sense at all as a single.

8. KJ-52 - Where Were You (feat. Golden Child) (Collaborations)
Oh. Well. Let's pretend this whole phase never happened. Failing that, let's put it this way. KJ-52 is responsible for some of the worst things to ever happen in music. What's worse than a blatent Eminem copycat? When said copycat attempts to make rap-rock music. KJ-52 makes me rage like few musicians in history can. Gaah...

9. Oliver Lieb - Subraumstimulation (John Johnson RMX) (Crystal - Volume 1)
Ah, nothing like a dollar store techno CD. While Crystal doesn't have the obvious highs of, say, Electrocution, it's still classic Dollar Store material. This particular one is fairly generic trance music to my ears, but I don't dance, and I'm not tripping on E, so I might not be the target audience.

10. The Hit Crew - Smack My Bitch Up [Domestic Abuse Mix] (Electrocution)
Speak. of. the. Devil. I'd absolutely listen to original a million times before I'd listen to this one again, and it's easily one of the worst songs on the aforementioned Electrocution disc, but this is the soundtrack to many a ridiculously late night with Stu, Branny, and Jordo. Obviously this song can't be mentioned without mentioning the famous music video to the original song (NSFW).

No comments:

Post a Comment