Friday, July 10, 2009

Ten Random: 7/10/2009 - Work Computer Edition!

Ten random songs from my work computer, because I forgot to bring my iPod, didn't have time to write this up from my home PC yesterday, and will be spending my evening planting flowers...

These are songs that have found their way onto my work PC through download, CD rip, or simply pilfering from other folk at work who've left their network shares a little too wide open. Since that last option is in play, these songs may not represent my musical taste.

With that out of the way, let's dig in!

 

1. Ghislain Poirier - Blazin' (Modeselektor Remix) (Scion A/V Remix)

I really like this remix (way more than the original, actually). It's got lots of bass, some cool breakdowns, and is just about perfect driving music. Not bad for a remix which grabs nothing at all from the original save one line ("we keep it").

2. AKI, Hiroshi Kobayashi, Michiru Yamane - R.A.V.E. (Contra Hard Corps Soundtrack)

A cool little track from the awesome (and awesomely difficult) video game Contra Hard Corps. My friends and I played this game all the time as kids, and though we got to one of the final bosses a couple of times, we never beat him. This track plays during one of the middle boss fights, if I recall. That boss probably killed me about a thousand times, but I've chosen to block that memory.

3. Animal Collective - My Girls (Merriweather Post Pavilion)

This file is actually damaged for whatever reason on this PC. I'm keeping it, though, because it's one of the best songs of the year. Insanely fun, insanely catchy, and the "WOO!!" they do after every chorus makes me break into a huge smile every time they do it.

4. Inhale Exhale - A Call to the Faithful (The Lost. The Sick. The Sacred.)

Wow. Color me a little surprised that someone has this on their work computer. I'm not even sure why I grabbed this except for the fact that I didn't recognize the artist name. Now I know why. Most post-hardcore, metalcore, x-core music just isn't for me. I'll be deleting this, now.

5. Radiohead - Reckoner (In Rainbows)

This is one of my favorite songs. Ever. Top 10-20 range, I'm thinking. I may have to actually make a list (which I would, of course, post here after I were done). From the opening drums to the string-filled closing, the whole thing is just awesome.

6. Blonde Redhead - Spring and By Summer Fall (23)

I like this song anyway, but the guitar lines that occur just after the choruses (AllMusic described them as "streaming comet-tail" guitars) just floors me every time I hear them. There's nothing technically impressive about them, but they just add an amazing atmosphere to the song. For sure one of my favorite moments in music (another list to be made!).

7. Parallax Software - Descent - Level 9 (Descent Soundtrack)

The Descent soundtrack is one of my favorite video game soundtracks (yet another list for later), but this isn't one of the better songs on it. It's a little slower, a little more atmospheric, and a little less listenable away from the game itself.

8. Kyle Gabler - Rain Rain Windy Windy (World of Goo Soundtrack)

I just downloaded this for free the other day (you can do the same here). It's a decent soundtrack. I hadn't heard this song yet, but it's pretty good - full of big epic swells and orchestration that would fit in one of those old-school biblical epics (at least, that's what it reminded me of).

9. The Medic Droid - The Killer Anna (What's Your Medium)

I don't really have any comment on this except to remark that the only time auto-tune is really acceptable is when someone is using it to comedic effect. Autotune the News does a great job of this, you should probably just stop reading this and go check it out (numbers two and five are the best, but they're all pretty great).

10. Gringo Star - All Y'all (Gringo Star)

I wish this song were more popular. As it stands, at least I get to enjoy it. You have a listen so you can do the same.

2 comments:

  1. 1. French Film Blurred -- Wire
    2. Wild Flower -- The Cult
    3. Big Star -- The Jayhawks
    4. Vengeance -- Germana
    5. Sun Burn Brighter -- Hank and Ruth
    6. My Little Red Book -- Love
    7. Little Boxes -- Malvina Reynolds
    8. King of the World -- Old 97's
    9. Cedar Time -- Indigo Girls
    10. Air Near My Fingers -- White Stripes

    Bonus: Spinnin' -- Soul Asylum

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. "Needle In The Camel's Eye" Brian Eno Velvet Goldmine OST
    2. "Born on a Train" Magnetic Fields The Charm of the Highway Strip
    3. "Piano Fire" Sparklehorse It's A Wonderful Life
    4. "Is That All There Is?" PJ Harvey Dance Hall At Louse Point
    5. "Here I Am (Come and Take Me) " Al Green Call Me
    6. "Three Babies" Sinead O'Connor I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
    7. "Shangri La" The Kinks Arthur Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire
    8. "Making Pies" Patty Griffin 1000 Kisses
    9. "Hangover Days" Jason Collett Idols Of Exile
    10. "Jet Silver & The Dolls Of Venus" Be Bop Deluxe Raiding The Divine Archive

    Gringo Star my new favorite band name.

    ReplyDelete